The more attention you give to preparing your new lawn, the better success you will have. There are no shortcuts to a healthy lawn.
- Remove all existing grass, rocks and weeds.
- Loosen top soil to a depth of 4 to 6 inches with a rototiller.
- If top soil is brought in, use a minimum of 3 inches and incorporate into existing soil.
- Level the area using a rake. Rake and level simultaneously.
- Roll the area lightly for a smooth surface.
- Apply lime following directions on bag. Landscape rakes, rollers and fertilizer spreaders are often available at rental outlets. We recommend an application of dolomite or agricultural grade limestone.
- Rake area lightly.
Download a complete guide to measuring, preparing, installing and maintaining your sod.