Grass Seed Storage and Shelf Life
May 5th, 2016
I am often asked about storing grass seed and how long the seed will be 'good'.
To answer the first part of this question- When it comes to storing seed my suggestion would be:
- Store the seed in a cool dry space for extended viability.
- Keep the seed elevated to avoid pests.
Answering the second part of this question is a bit more obscure- but my suggestion would be:
- Try to purchase seed you intend to use within a years time. (though I consider grass seed properly stored to be 'fresh' up to two years)
- After two years in storage- the seed will slowly begin to decline by an average of about 10% per year. (give or take)
- Always compensate with 'fresh' seed as needed during applications or adjust rates with storage time as a consideration.
**Most important - Keep those lawns Thick and Healthy by using JB Instant Lawn Signature Seed!**